Monday 4 June 2012

Week One of Chemo

Well my first week of chemo is over! It definitely had it's ups and downs. It wasn't as bad as I had feared. I was still able to leave the house each day, even if it just meant sitting on my in-laws couch and watching the kids play.

That being said, it wasn't fun. I had one horrendous day of nausea and vomiting. Although, we had a big birthday party here a few days earlier and a lot of the kids and parents ended up getting the flu. Sophie also "chunked" the next morning, so I'm hoping I had the flu:)

The rest of the week was just slowing getting more energy. I've been walking every day. I must thank my mom here....I call her around 7, sometimes waking her up, and ten minutes later she is dressed and out the door. Some of our walks only lasted about 10 minutes, but I was able to work myself back up to 30-40 minutes yesterday. It is really disheartening being exhausted after walking for 5 minutes, but I figure it's better to do that than nothing.

Yesterday, I felt fine, but ended up sleeping most of the day. I think in hindsight, I had done a lot of resting, but not enough sleeping during the week. I was so worried about being stuck in bed by myself during chemo, that I forced myself to sit on the bench at the park, watch the swim lessons, sit in my parents yard while the kids played and just be there. Next round I will try and take some more naps.

I have also added some food back into my diet. I am very glad that I did almost of a month of pretty much all raw fruit and veggies, protein smoothies, nuts, etc. However, during last week I had a hard time eating anything. There was no way I was going to be able to eat a big salad full of spinach and greens. We've added quinoa, wild rice, yams and some bread (spelt and brown rice made by my sister).   I've started eating some farm fresh eggs and the occasional salmon. We have also bought some lentils and beans and just need to figure out how to cook them! I will still try and make sure that a big portion of my diet is veggies and fruit, and I am by no means going to start eating cookies, chips,  peanut butter m&ms or licorice or any kind of "junk". Still healthy real food, just more of a variety. I need to put some fat back on my bones and my body needs the energy to get through this.

We constantly have people asking us if we need anything, if you are one of those people (Mom, Maura, Kristie and Lesley I'm not talking to you), and would like to help out, we could use some healthyish muffins for the kids. We have a had a few people drop off batches already, but we seem to be running low again. Other than that please just keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

I think that's about it. I really appreciate the messages I get from people. It really makes my day.  It just amazes me how many people out there are thinking of me.

Here's to a good week full of energy!

3 comments:

  1. HI Melissa. Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how your week was going... checking your blog everyday to see if there was any new news. I'm glad your week went better than you had expected. Good to have the wisdom of hindsight to sleep more next round. Praying for peace for you and your loved ones as you fight this battle... Ashlynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa,
    Your strength and courage is amazing! We think about you everyday and send you and your family our thoughts and prayers.
    Pam Rutten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel it's great to hear you are up and about walking. We would bring you muffins but neither of us can bake so we think you would be better off getting someone else to do it for you. We look forward to seeing you in July when we get back.

    ReplyDelete