Monday 28 May 2012

Chemotherapy

I'm not going to lie, I have been ridiculously nervous for the past few days. We were anxious to start chemo and wanted to get it going as soon as possible. I, however, was dreading it.

This morning we went to the oncology clinic (in Penticton) and met with Dr. Caskey. He didn't have any new information to give us, but he answered some of our questions and told us what to look out for.

We then went to the chemo room. A year ago I would have fainted just walking into the room, with all the patients hooked up to ivs. I wasn't able to actually look at any of them, but I made it to my chair without too much of a fuss.

The first thing I was asked was if I wanted an ativan. Yes PLEASE! We had to wait for my chemo drugs to get mixed up, so our nurse taught us all about them and the side effects and how to handle them. She, like all the other nurses we've dealt with so far was amazing.

She put ice on my portacath to freeze it a bit, and when it was time to get my line started, it really didn't hurt at all. We had to sit there for about 2 hours as the drugs dripped in. Thanks to the ativan, I was able to snooze a little bit. The worst part of the whole experience was having to go to the bathroom multiple times with the iv stand. So awkward. I may drink less water next time.

Before we left she hooked me up with my "baby bottle" that will continue to pump for the next 2 days. There's some tubing and the bottle, all hid very discreetly in a nice fanny pack.

I've got a schedule of anti nausea pills to take, so hopefully that won't be much of an issue. Now we just get through the next couple of days and see what kind of side effects I'll notice.

I'm feeling a huge sense of relief right now. BYE BYE CANCER CELLS!!!

8 comments:

  1. Good for you! You and the chemo drugs are kicking cancer to the curb! Glad to hear that you drank lots of water (I was wondering if you did), it will make you have a much better day tomorrow - now you have to continue to drink lots and flush the chemo drugs out. Was your nurse Marie - she was my favourite! Was Sue there - the volunteer - she made my visits go so fast as she kept me entertained and laughing the whole time (she used to work with your mom). Congrats on your first visit! You have started a war and you are going to WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Melissa! Not a day goes by without people coming into the shop, asking about how you are doing and what they can do to help. We've been able to direct everyone to your blog for the "how you are doing" aspect. In terms of what they can do to help, I just wanted to 'put it out there' that we have started a Team Pratt support group. So for those interested in joining us, feel free to contact me at lisaprowse2@gmail.com. Or bikebarn@shaw.ca. Thanks. Lisa. And Melissa...may the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really amazed at your positive attitude as you go through this challenge! Positive energy can work wonders and you will be proof of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with the Chemo Melissa! I hope you obliterate (read: kick the sh*$% out of) that cancer quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear you are relieved after your first chemo treatment. I am sending you constantly positive energy and i can really see you are using it!!! I know, you are strong and you will win! Sending a lot of hugs to you and your sweet family from far away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa. I was thinking of you sooo much yesterday. I'm glad all want as well as it did. You are a fighter my dear. BYE BYE CANCER CELLS INDEED!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, so glad to read your update. You have an amazing attitude and are definitely going to beat this! Those nasty cells have already started leaving your body and you are getting healthier every day! With so many sending so much love and support, you have a great team of family and friends who are here for you. Our prayers are with you every day. Go Girl!
    Hugs,
    Maureen and Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your updates has been great to understand what you are going through. Sometimes its hard to know what to say to someone with this kind of fight on their hands. But the last line conveyed so much. Fight and win! You have an army of support behind you!

    ReplyDelete