Wednesday 9 May 2012

Our New Reality

Will and I have started this blog to keep all of our friends and family up to date on what is happening. It is too hard emotionally for us to talk about it. We will try to keep this as up to date as we can, so feel free to check in whenever you are thinking of us. Postivie messages and prayers would always be appreciated.

The Backgroud:
Starting in January, I was having cramps on and off. I went to a doctor thinking I was constipated. She felt my stomach and said everything felt fine, and told me to take Metamucil. That issue went away shortly. The cramps continued and a few months later I went back to the doctor. My symptoms didn't seem to match anything. There was no pain when he put pressure on my abdomen. The pains were on and off and they were not affecting my daily life, just a nuisance, so he told me to keep an eye on the them and come back. I came back in the beginning of April. At this point, he ordered a whole bunch of blood tests, an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The blood work came back mostly normal. The liver enzymes were slightly elevated, but nothing to worry about. I re did the liver enzymes test and they seemed to be going down. Three weeks go by and there is still no ultrasound appointment. I called the hospital and they said it could still be a few weeks as I am not a priority at this point, and if it is getting worse to go back to my doctor. So I went into my doctor's office that afternoon. He ordered more blood tests and put a hurry up order on the ultrasounds.
On Saturday May 5, I went for my abdominal ultrasound. On Sunday May 6 I showed up for my pelvic ultrasound, to find that it had been switched for a CT scan. On Monday May 7, we got a call to be at the doctor's office at 1pm.

The Present:
We knew from the second we walked in it was bad. We could tell by the looks on people's faces. The doctor told us that I had colon cancer. This is apparently very rare for someone my age. I have a tumour in the upper left part of my bowels. It also looks as if there are spots on my liver. The doctor (Dr.Caskey) called the surgeon straight away and set us up to have a colonoscopy the next day.

The colonoscopy itself was absolutely fantastic. Most of you know that I am absolutely terrified of needles, so the thought of needing an iv, plus having this procedure was terrifying. The doctors were smart though and gave me an Ativan to take while I was waiting. I made friends in the waiting room with an older man who had colon cancer 17 years ago.. He was just in for his every 5 year check:). Back to the fantastic procedure. The iv insertion wasn't that bad and then they gave me the most marvelous drugs every. Apparently I stayed awake the whole time, and narrated a horse race going on in my stomach. All of Sophie's toys were galloping around in there. I was so excited about this event that I recounted the horse race to an amused Will as soon as I was back in my room. I was able to go home shortly after.

The good news is that my bowels aren't blocked so I won't need to have surgery right now (which would delay the chemo). Right now we are just waiting for the biopsy to come back. Once that is back I will have an appointment in Kelowna with an oncologist and then start chemotherapy.

It looks like this will all take place next week. This week are just trying to live normally and do a bunch of family things with the kids. We are headed to Farmer John's Petting Zoo tomorrow with Leah, Olivia. Nama, Pa, Memaw, Pa, Aunty ZZ and maybe Auntie Kristie.

The Future:
We are going to have a long and tough road ahead of us. I know it's not going to be easy, but I will do everything in my power to get myself healthy again as soon as possible. I am very lucky that Will has taken an indefinite leave from work, and our family and friends are being fantastic. We also have a great team of doctors who we trust to take very good care of me.

12 comments:

  1. You are a very brave young lady Melissa! And super strong! You will kick this F'n Cancer to the curb! We all love you and are with you.

    Auntie Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Susie's comment. I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's family adventure at Farmer John's. We love you guys.

    ZZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, this news has been hard to take, but I know you will kick this! Your friends are all out here rooting for you pal. Stay strong and keep writing — your courage is inspiring!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - you might not remember me......I was one of your maternity nurses, when you had Sophie. You are amongst a good team of professionals - they are the best. 14 months ago, I was where you are now - just had my one year check up, and all is well! Hang in there - long, scary road, but all will be good. <3 Anna XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, we have seen your strength and determination and we know that you are the type of person that will fight hard to beat this thing. Our thoughts will be with you every step of the way and we will be here to support you in every way we can

    Nic & Shei

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, your approach to this news is both strong and admirable. This strength and determination will help you beat it. Our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

      Delete
  7. Hi Melissa,
    Marnie, Mia and I thinking about you and are wishing you all the best during this difficult time. Stay strong and take good care.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Melissa, learning of your horrible news was awful, but after reading your blog there is comfort in knowing you have the strenghth, conviction, support and humour to come out of this the winner. Sounds like the drugs have been an added bonus as well! Yay ativan!!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and information with us. It is one blog we will all be reading religiously. Even us non-religious types!
    Very happy to read about the zoo outing, as doing everyday stuff with everyone is so essential to fighting this stupid disease.
    I wanna come over and give ya a big hug, so just give the word when the time is right.
    In the meantime, keep being you.
    Lots of love and positive thoughts to you,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa and Family
    It's taken me too long to figure out how to send you my prayers.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers always. Please if there is
    anything I can do for you call me or send a message though Maura.
    It is good to see you doing great things with your family.
    Hope Van has pictures to share.
    XOXO Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa. This is obviously such shocking news to you and your family and everyone who knows you. Although I don't know you really well, what I have seen is a beautiful, kind, and strong woman... even if you do lean backwards when running on the spot :) It is going to be quite a journey with a huge array of emotions. Let them happen and know in the end, you will win this battle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa...the power of healing is a group effort and we are all with you! Your blog made me cry but your sense of humor throughout put a smile on my face. Just know that we are thinking of you guys every day. Love, Strength and Courage XO Elladee and Tara

    ReplyDelete