Thursday 10 May 2012

Thanks!

I'd like to thank all of you for the messages that you've sent to me and my family. It really means a lot to us that there are so many people praying and sending positive thoughts are way. If we don't respond to your message please don't take it personally, and if you'd like to send us another message in a few days to let us know you are still thinking of us, please do.

As far as the medical stuff goes... The pathology report from my biopsy came back. It is colon cancer, as they assumed. The good news is, it is what they thought, not worse. All of my info has been sent to the Oncology Clinic in Kelowna and now I just need to wait for an appointment. My doctor said it could take a couple of weeks, but that he would keep calling and try to make it as soon as possible. After I have the appointment, the chemo should start fairly quickly. I can do the chemo in Penticton.

In order to do the chemo, I need to have an outside line. Some people that have chemo don't need this, I'm not sure why I do, but I do. So on May 23, I am going to have a port-a-cath inserted just below or above my colloarbone. If you are interested you can google more about it. Basically, it will be a catheter connected to the port, that they can put the chemo into or take blood out of. No more needles!! YAY!! I'll need a surgery to have it inserted, but will be able to come home the same day. I am hoping for some really really good drugs for this one:)

If we have the opportunity to start chemo sooner, we still will, and they will just use an IV through my arm until the port-a-cath is inserted.

On a less medical side, I had to wean Liam from nursing. I probably could have kept at it another week or two, but decided it would be easier to do it now, while life is still somewhat normal. He put up a bit of a fight, but he is a champ, and I think has almost forgotten about his beloved boobies.

Also, I have been convinced to cut out sugar and try to make my body less acidic. Apparently the more acid that is in your body, the easier the cancer can grow. So while we are waiting for the chemo to start, we are going to make my body as uninviting as we possibly can for the cancer cells.

The last two days have been obviously very difficult as we are still wrapping our head around this, but they've been a lot of fun too. We had a great time at the petting zoo today. The kids loved feeding the animals, especially the baby lamb the bottle of milk. Will bought Sophie a kite, which she is getting quite good at, and we have spent a lot of time just enjoying each other.

We're not expecting to hear anything over the next couple of days, so we will just try our best to have a great weekend. Sophie has her first bike race of the season in Salmon Arm on Sunday. She is doing the lil pup version of the Salty Dog. If any of you are at the race, come cheer for our little Sophers!!

Thanks again for all your love and support. It means a lot.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa, glad to hear that you had a good day! Sugar is really bad as is deep fried food (which I know you don't eat), and cancer also hates exercise - so you should try and get out for a fast paced walk every day if possible. You have to prepare your body for battle (at least that's the mind set I had every time I had to go for chemo), fresh spinach blended in with strawberries and blueberries and water or Almond Milk is a real good anti-oxidant drink too! If you don't find watercress too strong it is awesome as well as it is full of cancer fighting properties! Even put Whey powder in the blender too as you need to try and put some weight on. Take care! :) Love Auntie Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so strong. I know you will get through this. I am researching alkaline teas for you and will do anything else you need! Jonny, Poutine and I love you and are here for whatever, even more 6:30 am massages! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa/Will, thanks so much for including the rest of us through your posts. You guys are on the front line, but there is an army lined up behind you. Give that cancer hell, girl.

    (Oh, and Liam is male, he will never completely forget about boobies)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so sorry to hear the news Melissa. Strength, love and courage will support you through the next phase. We're thinking and praying for you all.

    -Dan, Pamela, Rhys and Hana MacDonald

    ReplyDelete