Monday 11 June 2012

Sunshine, Good News and Needles

So today was round #2of chemotherapy. I was much less nervous of the process and am not as worried about the side effects this time. However, I was really nervous that the blood work wouldn't be good.

Anyways, our marathon of a day started with blood work done at 8. After that Will and I went for a nice coffee and snack at the Bench. It was a beautiful morning to sit outside on the patio and enjoy the sunshine. We went for a little walk and had a really nice "date".

Back to the hospital we went. I was so excited to hear that my blood work was really good. My liver enzymes were a lot lower and the doctor seemed very happy about it. The fact that I am feeling better than I did before chemo and the fact that the blood work showed improvement is all very positive.

Despite my efforts to eat everything in site last week, my weight was down from 2 weeks ago. I think I must have lost a lot of weight during the first week of chemo and that I am on my way to gaining it back. I've picked up some healthy comfort food, so hopefully even if I lose my appetite this week I'll still be able to get enough calories in. It's very strange going your whole life trying not to gain weight and being happy when you lost a pound, to wanting to fit into your fat pants.

Oh and I almost forgot the exciting part. My arm has been bugging me for a few days. I didn't think much of it as I seem to get new and imaginary pains every day from the stress. But last night we noticed it was swollen. So we showed the doctor today, and he sent us for an ultrasound. Blood clot. No big deal, good thing they caught it. I was under the impression that a pill would fix this. But no, oh no. Because I'm on chemo, the regular drug doesn't work, so Will gets to give me a needle. Every day. In the scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. I just hate needles. But I really don't want to get a blood clot and this will prevent that, so daily needles here we go!

Overall, the day was good. I'm happy we got the good news about my blood work first. It made the blood clot news a little easier to digest. A few days of rest and fanny pack wearing lay ahead for me. Sophie's last swim lesson is on Friday, and parents are allowed in, so my goal is to go swimming with her on Friday.

Thanks for all the well wishes, energy and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Hip Hip Hurray!!! So good to hear that the chemo is doing it's job! And that you are feeling better than before the chemo! You and the chemo are a team and you are doing great work! Sorry to hear about the blood clot - so Will is now an assistant-doc, you are so lucky to have him. Glad to hear that you plan on going to the pool later this week. Take care Melissa - Team Pratt - you guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Melissa. As with everyone else, I'm so glad for the good news with your bloodwork! Blessings on you and your family as you get much needed sleep this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you guys and thanks so much for posting these updates. We wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete