Friday 29 June 2012

Bald

Well there goes my hair! It was slowly coming out and thinning, so on Wednesday Will shaved my head. I was surprised that I cried over this. It seems like such a dumb thing to be upset about. I was more emotional over this than I was about finding out I needed daily injections. I didn't even really like my hair to begin with.

Now that it's gone, it's not that bad. I was nervous to look in the mirror and I still get surprised sometimes when I see my reflection. In a strange way I feel stronger though. I feel like I've joined the army of people fighting and beating cancer all around the world.

I've got quite the collection of scarves, turbans and other head covers.I must say, I don't love them. I will obviously cover my head outside to protect it from the sun, but I have a feeling I will go bare more often than not when inside. Maybe I will grow to love my scarves, but right now it feels strange to wear them.

Other than my hair drama, this week has been really good. I didn't get to sick from the chemo, just tired. I was able to go out for dinner with some friends on Wednesday, which was so much fun. By Thursday, I felt back to normal again. Each round has been easier so far. I don't expect it to keep getting easier, but I sure hope it will stay like this.

Happy Canada Day weekend to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa!

    I think your scarves will look beautiful! That's great news about your liver enzymes, and I'm glad you're feeling relatively good. I've been making a lot of recipes from a cookbook I got at Nature's Fare in Westbank: The Vegetarian Collection from Canadian Living. The meals are great and really healthy. We've been eating a ton of kale chips, too. Swiss chard is also good the same way. How's your freezer? Does it need filling?

    Love,

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, it isn't "dumb" to be upset about losing your hair, it is a huge part of one's identity and no one can really understand that until it's gone. When you still have your hair the whole world doesn't know what you are going through, but once it's gone it's obvious what you're dealing with; it's amazing how many people who have been on this "journey" will approach you and confide in you their experience. You are right about joining the army who are/have fought this battle! The hats/turbans are kind of like your medals, showing another step on this journey. Keep up the great work! You are an inspiration to all!

    ReplyDelete