Sunday 24 June 2012

The little things

This last week has been absolutely amazing. Nothing exciting has happened and there has been no big news. A few months ago, I would have taken this week for granted and not paid any attention to all the little things that make me happy.

I have my energy back. I have said it before, but having the "get up and go" is just so wonderful. I've been going for walks and got back out on the stand up paddle board. I've taken the kids out and about without someone else to help me. I've been cooking and cleaning. I've been being me.

Will worked full days this past week and I took care of the kids...just like how it used to be. I still had tons of help, as always, from the grandparents, but it was help that I wanted not needed. I was able to go to a friend's house for a playdate, come home and make lunch, do the nap time routine, get kids up from nap, play with them in the back yard....by myself. A week or two ago to attempt this, I would have had someone lined up to help with lunch and someone to come over as soon as the kids got up. It feels wonderful to be able to take care of myself and them again.

Those that know me well, know that I love food. I also have a big sweet tooth. With a bit of help from my sister, I mastered a crumble recipe this week. I made an apple one and one with rhubarb, apple and strawberries. They only have ingredients that I feel comfortable eating (fruit, quinoa flakes, coconut flour, coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of stevia) and are sooo good. I have my appetite back and I am eating insane amounts of food. I'm sure it helps that we are getting better at making food that tastes good. Will made me some amazing coconut flour waffles the other day. YUMMY!! I even managed to make a really good ratatouille filled with lots of good veggies. I am eating nonstop these days, as I used to. The other day for lunch I ate a chicken breast with a tomato/veggie sauce, followed by a fried egg sandwich loaded with avocado, a banana, orange and two big bowls of rhubarb crumble.

I have also been completely blown away by what others have done and are doing for me. Each day I get multiple emails or messages from people telling me that they are thinking about me or praying for me. These mean so much. We are grateful for all the muffins, food, recipes and cards that we receive. A few local businesses have generously donated their services to us. I feel so loved and supported by everyone. I can't keep track of the number of prayer groups I have been added to. Thank you everyone, it is such a morale boost to know there are so many people behind me in this fight.

Will and I are in Squamish right now. We drove down to Vancouver yesterday for an appointment I had. It's been a great mini vacation so far. We found a raw vegan cafe in Hope to eat lunch in. If any of you go through Hope it's called Jungle Juice. I had a really good veggie sandwich on "bread" that was pretty much dehydrated seeds. The salads were also amazing. We had dinner at another really good healthy place called Organic Lives. The whole menu was vegan as well as gluten/refined sugar/soy and corn free. This morning Will went for a mountain bike ride and I went for a hike. The area is just beautiful and it felt so good to be out hiking.  I found a cafe here that also has lots of really good options for me. I am so excited that these types of places exist! I ate breakfast there, again soooo yummy and we will go back for lunch before driving home.

Tomorrow is round 3 of chemo. I need to get blood work done before hand, so please send me all you "good blood result" vibes and prayers. Once we get the results and they get the chemo started it is usually a pretty relaxed day...well for me anyways, the ativan does wonders:) 

Thanks again for thinking about me. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa. Thanks again for the updates. I can hardly believe how well you are doing.... that is AWESOME!!!!!! You are reminding me to enjoy all the little things in my day, thank you :D Still thinking of you guys lots and praying Gods strength as you and your loved ones walk this through. Take care... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear you're tackling the world again, Melissa. You're always in our hearts and prayers. I'm saying a BIG 'good blood result' prayer for you tonight. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Melissa! Glad to hear that you had a nice get-away weekend with Will. Nice to hear that you are eating non-stop as well - we have such fast metabolisms as it is and find it hard to put on weight under the best of conditions. I know that your blood work is going to be good. Isn't it something that when you go through such a life experience how it changes your perspective on things, what you used to think was little is now huge and the other way around?! Keep up the good work, and good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa! So happy to hear that you're feeling good! It was great to see you last weekend- thanks for making it to my birthday! Glad you had a good time in Squamish- it's awesome there. Thinking of you lots. Everyone at work and everywhere is asking about you. Sending you our prayers every day.

    Love,

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete