Monday 6 August 2012

Tomorrow Makes 6

I can't believe that tomorrow will be my 6th chemo treatment. That means that I started chemo 12 weeks ago and found out I had cancer 15 weeks ago. In some ways it has gone by so quickly, but on the other hand it all feels so normal now that I can't remember what life was like before this. I thought I'd share a few completely random things from the past few months.

-Taking off the band-aid hurts more than the actual needle/blood test.
-The vast majority of the people who work at Penticton Regional Hospital are amazing.  We have met lots oncology nurses, doctors, radiology staff, lab techs, and pharmacists.  We have been continually impressed by their caring, compassion, and dedication.
-I have eaten 3 entire eggplants this week. I know that is completely unrelated, but it's a lot of eggplant!
-I am still a terrible cook. I have no instincts on what spices to put in or how to cook something. I was  trying to saute Swiss chard the other day, and although I've done this a few times, I still had to refer to a recipe.
-Will is a great cook and doesn't need recipes. Last week he was making me a salsa and tasted the pepper to decide how many he should put in. It was hotter than we thought. His mouth was on fire for the next hour. Poor guy!
-It is equal parts comforting and unsettling when I walk into the drug store and the pharmacist knows my name.
-The best part of chemo days are that I get to lay on the couch all the day (Oh how I used to wish for a day like this before this all started...a whole day to relax/nap and have someone bring me food)
-The worst part of the chemo days are that I have to lay on the couch all day... Daytime tv gets old really fast.
-Raw vegan food is better than it sounds.  I still eat some cooked chicken and eggs, but you can have a tasty meal that doesn't involve cooking or meat.  I think this was a bigger revelation to Will than me.
-Fanny packs may not be stylish but are very functional.  I put one to use for a couple of days at the start of every second week right now.
-New hairstyle, or lack of hair has made my showering routine much faster.  But it is annoying I still have to save my legs.

I hope everyone had a great long weekend.

2 comments:

  1. You've come through all of this with an amazing sense of humour! I enjoyed reading this one...perhaps the point form is easier for me to comprehend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Melissa, I'm surprised that you still have to shave your legs though! I guess different chemo affects different things, I didn't have to start shaving for months after chemo. Wow, I can't believe that it's been 15 weeks since your diagnosis! You are doing so great, you are such a strong person! Keep up the great work and good luck today. Love Auntie Susie

    ReplyDelete