Sunday 12 August 2012

Hmmmm....

So I am full of ideas. Sometimes they are great and sometimes not so much. I'm hoping what I have planned for tomorrow is the former.

Last year, friends of ours put on a mountain bike race in Summerland. It's called the Test of Humanity and the purpose of the event is to raise money for Canadian Humanitarian. It's a 4 hour endurance ride, but there is also a beginner and kids category. Last year Will and my dad each did it the enduro event. They had a blast and the Test of Humanity raised a ton of money.

I didn't do it for two reasons. Mainly, because I have zero mountain biking skills and also because I didn't feel like taking the time to learn them. I am not exaggerating in my lack of skills. Will took me mtn biking when we first started dating. It ended in tears (mine) and my bike being carried (by him). He hasn't taken me on a real mountain bike ride since.

When registration started for this year's race, I decided to enter Sophie and myself. It was back in February and it seemed like a good idea. Mountain biking looks like fun and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do it. Will was supportive and had a spring/summer training agenda laid out for me. We were going to continue road riding so I would be fit and then head to Silver Star and go on the really easy downhill trails so that I could get comfortable on the bike. After all of that we would try out the course. I haven't been on a bike in 3.5 months and we are riding the course tomorrow.

When I first got diagnosed with cancer, we considered the idea that I may still do the ride. I was non committal (is that a word?) either way. We still had time to go for a few rides and see how I felt out on a bike. We haven't ridden yet, not because I don't feel up to it, just because we don't have time. Between all the doctors appointments and rest (aka chemo) days, we chose to use all of our extra time to do stuff with the kids. A few weeks ago Will and I chatted about me possibly trying the Test again. The plan was to go for a road ride and if I felt ok riding, we would then plan to try out the course. We never went for that road ride.

Tomorrow at 6:30 am we are heading out to try it.  I figure I might as well jump on a mountain bike and see what I can do.  I am really really hoping that I will be able to ride more than I have to walk. My fitness level is pretty non existent. Besides walking, I haven't done anything since May. My mountain biking skills probably haven't improved since the last time I went. But, I am pretty determined. Hopefully that will be enough.

If tomorrow's ride isn't a complete disaster I'll take part in my first ever bike race in 6 weeks. The only catch is I need to do it in under 60 minutes. The beginners' race and kids' race start an hour apart and I want to watch Sophie. Maybe Nic and Shei will let me get a head start? Just joking, well sort of....

If anyone is interested in signing up for the race or making a donation, the website is www.testofhumanity.com

2 comments:

  1. You are so determined and we are so excited you are riding the course tomorrow! Of course we will do whatever we can to make sure you see Sophie's race - yes you can even start early - no kidding. Enjoy your ride tomorrow and never be embarassed to walk as we do it all the time. We're sure you will have a great time and besides you have the best coach ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa- you are freaking amazing! You are such an inspiration to everyone! Have fun on your ride today! I know it will be better than your first mountain bike rode with Will. Xo

    ReplyDelete