Sunday 19 August 2012

Food

As anyone who has read this blog knows, I have completely switched my diet over the past few months. I love talking to people about the food I'm eating because I believe it has made a huge difference in my health and love it every time someone tells me they are trying to eat better as well. I thought I'd share a few a my new favourite recipes.

Cabbage Salad: This is sooooo good but it has a lot of garlic. I crave this a lot and have made it as my bedtime snack. It lasts really well for a couple of days. I've used the purple and green cabbage and both taste good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/matts-garlic-salad/

Turmeric Tea: I had never heard of turmeric before, but apparently it is super good for you for all kinds of reasons. I was having a hard time using it frequently in cooking, but found this recipe for tea and now make it every night.

1 1/2 C water
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/3 of a nutmeg
3-4 cloves
a chunk of ginger
1tsp turmeric

Put everything in a small pot and bring to a boil and then let simmer about 10 mins. Pour through a tea strainer. Add milk and sweetener. I've used almond and coconut milk with it. I haven't added sweetener but I think agave nectar would tastes really good. I started by using ground spices (that's what we had) but it was really hard to strain. Using the whole ingredients is way easier. Warning: turmeric will turn your cloths yellow.

Yam Chips:  So good and so easy! We use a mandolin to slice the yams. It took a couple tries to get it right, but when you do they have the same crispiness as real chips. Good alone or with a dip.

Thinly slice a yam or two. Place on a baking sheet, sprinkle some salt on. Bake at 200 for 45 mins, flip the chips over and bake about 30 mins more. Check to make sure they are crispy. If not let bake a little longer.

Breakfast Power Cereal: A friend sent me a care package that included a package of this. It was so good, that I have been making my own. I mix up a container and then leave it in the fridge so it's easy to make in the mornings.

I don't know what the ratios are, but just mix it up to how you want.
Chia seeds
Hemp hearts
Pumpkin seeds
Dried fruit (it came with goji berries and cranberries. I am using goji berries and dried mango right  now)

Heat 2/3 C of "milk" and add to 1/3 C of cereal. Let sit about 5 minutes and enjoy!

Rice Bowl: This may be my favourite. The whole family likes it, which makes it even better.

Bowl: Wild rice, grated carrots, grated beets, chopped spinach, chick peas, toasted almonds (we bake slivered almonds at 350 for 15 mins).

Dressing: In a blender combine:
1/4 C water
1/4C soya sauce
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic
3/4 C olive oil

Eggplant and Chickpea curry: I went searching for eggplant recipes and found this one. It was pretty easy to make and tasted really good. If you are feeding more than 1 person you may need to make more. Between dinner and an after dinner snack I ate the whole thing:)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/01/eggplant-and-chickpea-curry.html

I even made the garam masala...now to figure out how to use the rest of it.

Syrup: A friend and I made some fancy raw crepes with "cream" filling. They were delicious and so was the syrup. I have been trying to find something to put on my coconut pancakes and I think this is it.

In a food processor put some fresh or thawed frozen rasberries and some agave nectar. I think I might try mangos next time.

That's probably enough for now. Hope everyone had a great weekend:)

1 comment:

  1. Your transformation in the kitchen, trying out new recipes and ingredients, has made me smile. I seem to remember some references to "I don't cook" last year. Liar. :)!
    I have a lentil soup recipe that uses garam masala. We just made it last night. I'll email you the recipe this week. And thanks for posting the eggplant recipe. I'll try just about anything with eggplant!

    ReplyDelete