Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year

Happy New Year everyone! 2012 was a year with ups and downs, to say the least. I can't, however, say that it was a bad year. The cancer diagnosis obviously sucked, but it, along with the chemo, did not outweigh all the good we had.

2012 saw Sophie and Liam develop into their own little personalities. Sophie is definitely a kid now, with her own thoughts and opinions. It is so much fun watching the world through her eyes. Liam also has his own thoughts and opinions, he just can't articulate them yet! This past year saw Liam's first steps and first words, he also started sleeping through the night! My sister married a great friend of ours and we had so much fun planning her wedding. The day was absolutely perfect. Will and I celebrated 5 years of being together. It's gone by so fast, but at the same time it's hard to remember life before him. 2012 also saw me reconnect with an aunt (who also happened to beat cancer in 2012!!),and it has really reaffirmed who my good friends are. I have been shown such care and generosity from friends, acquaintances and complete strangers. I also did my first ever bike race, and learned the very basics of mountain biking, something I have always wanted to do. This year has really put things into perspective for me and I feel like I am a much stronger person than I was last year.

I have lots of hopes for 2013. Good health for myself and my family is at the top of my list. I hope that the drugs continue to work, my body continues to recover after the treatments and the doctors have continued wisdom in treating me. I hope our kids have a year full of fun and adventure. I hope we continue to have lots of good times with our family and friends. I hope I am given another niece or nephew to love (no pressure!). I hope Will and I continue to take time out from everything to have fun and and just be us. I hope I am able to pay forward all the kindness that I have been shown. I also hope that our team has a blast doing the Elevator Relay. I'm not going to tell you the name, I'll just say that I came up with it while on a fair amount of drugs during one of my treatments.

Thank you again for all your support. Happy 2013!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Melissa! I second all the hopes that you have listed for yourself and family and I'm glad you've been able to see and enjoy the precious gifts you've been given, even in the middle of adversity, over the past year.

    Love,

    Kerry and Aart

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the very best to you and your family , Melissa !
    You are truly an inspiration !

    France and Brian

    ReplyDelete