Monday 4 February 2013

More drama

Well I must say that this last month has thrown a few too many curve balls at me. I am ready for life to get back to normal and my treatments to get back on track.
Last weekend I felt fantastic! We spent an extra day at Apex and I was able to get in lots of skiing. I finally felt like I had fully recovered from everything that had gone on the past few weeks. What I didn't realize was that I was turning yellow.

We went Wednesday for our pre-chemo bloodwork. The first thing the nurse mentioned was how jaundiced I was. It was really obvious, so I'm not sure how I didn't notice it before. My liver numbers came back extremely elevated. The doctor didn't know why they would have gone up so much or what to do next. The options weren't great.

We got a call later that day saying that we were to have a CT scan. The radiologist was awesome and called us later that evening to give us the news. The liver stent I had put in a few weeks ago was gone! He said he had heard of it happening but never actually seen it. We were so happy that there was an explanation for my liver numbers being high.

Our doctors have been awesome, and we were hoping that we would be able to get another stent in asap, so I didn't eat or drink after midnight. At 8am the next morning we were on the phone with the doctor letting her now that I could go for an ERCP that day. She had already called the GI doctors, but hadn't been able to get through yet. Anyways, we weren't able to do it that day, but we were booked for first thing Friday morning.

I was extremely nervous going into this, as the last experience was less than pleasant. I asked very nicely for more sedation this time. The procedure went fine and I don't remember any of it. We had to stay for a while afterwards to receive IV antibiotics. Right away I felt better than I did last time. There was no pain. I took it easy and slept mostly for the rest of the day.

Saturday I felt good, so we headed up to Apex for the weekend. My back was bothering me a bit so I took it easy. On Sunday we went cross country skiing and then played with the kids outside. It was a great day.

We are heading in this morning for some bloodwork and then fingers crossed we will get chemo today! We are meant to leave here on Wednesday and fly out of Vancouver on Thursday, so we don't have a lot of extra time.

Will and I both think I am slightly less yellow than I was, so we are taking that as a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment